Carmelita Squares – Delicious Original Square Recipe from bakeyourwaykitchen!
This recipe was inspired by the delicious square at Whole Foods. This square is a rich delicious cookie square perfect for any occasion. It has a chewy texture and a nice caramel chocolate flavour.
Video Demonstration Here:
2 Cups (260 Grams) Flour
2 Cups (180 Grams) Old Fashioned Rolled oats
1 1/2 cups (315 Grams) firmly packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened (280 Grams)
½ Tablespoon of Vanila Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
½ Cup (60-80 Grams) Chopped Nuts
2/3 cup of caramel sauce
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
3 tablespoons flour
1 Cup (175 Grams) Bittersweet Chocolate Chunks/Chips
1/2 cup (60-80 grams) chopped nuts
1. Heat oven to 350F/180C
2.Grease 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray or butter
3. In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
4. Press half of crumb mixture into the baking pan.
5. Reserve remaining crumb mixture for the top.
6. Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes, till lightly golden brown
7. In a small bowl combine caramel sauce, vanilla and flour
8. Remove baking pan from oven. Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
9. Drizzle caramel mixture over chocolate and nuts. Spread across top of crust.
10. Add the remaining crumb mixture on top.
11. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Cool for about 10 minutes
13. Refrigerate 90 minutes or freezer for 30 minutes, till the filling has set.
14. Cut into squares and enjoy! Serves best with vanilla ice cream!
Keep at room temperature in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer for later use.