Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse Cake – A Decadent Chocolate Cake from bakeyourwaykitchen!
This is a delicious rich dessert for any special occasion. It is one of my favourite cakes and it so easy to make.
3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 Square (1 Ounce) UNSWEETENED Chocolate
340 Grams (12 ounces) of Bittersweet Chocolate (60% or higher recommended for a strong chocolate flavour)
30 Grams (2 Tablespoons) of Milk Chocolate (optional)
2/3 Cup (140 Grams) Brown Sugar
8 Egg Whites
Pinch of Salt
8 Egg Yolks
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
2 Teaspoons of Coffee Extract
Chocolate waiting to be melted and baking tools for recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 325F/170C and put rack on bottom third of rack and prepare a 9 inch springform pan by buttering and place a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom.
2. Mix extracts and set a side
3. In a double boiler, melt the chocolates and butter.
4. Once chocolate has cooled, add the extracts and egg yolks. Beat for at least a minute constantly.
5. Beat egg whites and pinch of salt.
6. Add sugar to egg whites once they get frothy and add 1/3 cup of the sugar. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to beat till soft peaks.
7. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Start by adding a 1/3, once incorporated, add the rest and fold gently just till combined.
8. Pour mixture into springform pan.
9. Place springform pan in a high side oven pan and add water an inch up the side of the springform pan.
10. Place in the oven for about 35-45 minutes. Remove once top has slightly cracked and puffed up a little. Inserting a toothpick comes out moist is what you are looking for. If you have a thermometer (the temperature should be 170F degrees on the inside)
11. Remove from oven. Let cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature and then place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
This is a sure crowd pleaser and one of my favourite chocolate desserts.
This dessert turned out delicious. Everyone raved about it. It turned out perfectly with a smooth mousse chocolate interior with a delicious exterior chocolate (almost crunch like).
I hope you enjoy it as well.