Fudgy Cocoa Brownies (no chocolate required)
10 Tablespoons (145 Grams) unsalted butter, cut
1/2 Pound (227 Grams) Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (70 Grams) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup (65 Grams) Flour + 3/4 Teaspoon Espresso Powder
1/2 Cup (70 Grams) Toasted Cashews, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F/160C and grease an 8 inch square baking pan. If desired, you can add a layer of parchment or wax paper to baking pan.
- Using a double boiler, stove safe mock up double boiler or microwave (see video), melt chopped cold butter, sugar and cocoa powder until combined. (If using a microwave), remove from microwave every 45 seconds to stir (ensure it is set to medium heat).
- Once melted, add in salt and vanilla.
- Using a whisk, beat in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in flour and espresso powder and add toasted nuts (if preferred). Fold just till combined.
- Pour mixture into square pan and spread evenly.
- Place in centre rack of oven, let bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out with tender crumb (should not be wet)
- Let sit for about 20-25 minutes and cut into squares!
Serve immediately with whipped cream or store in an air tight container for later use.
Optimization Tip: refrigerate these overnight for a richer flavour.