Lemon Pudding Cake with Kiwi Meringue Topping — Light & Smooth from bakeyourwaykitchen
In this video, I will show you how to make a lemon pudding cake with an optional kiwi meringue topping.
Video Demonstration Here:
Lemon Pudding Cake:
¾ Cup (150 Grams) of Granulated Sugar
¼ Cup (30 Grams) of Flour
Pinch of Salt
3 Tablespoons (42 Grams) of Butter
1/2 Teaspoon of Lemon Zest
½ Cup of Lemon Juice
1 1/3 Cups of Milk (320ml – any kind will work, including almond milk)
3 Egg Yolks
3 Egg Whites
2 Egg Whites
Pinch of Cream of Tartar (optional)
¼ Cup (50 Grams — 4 Tablespoons) of Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
3 Kiwis, mashed
• add 1 or two teaspoons of corn starch if needed to thicken
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C
2. Combine the sugar, pinch of salt and flour. (you can put it through a sift if desired)
3. Add melted butter, lemon zest and juice.
4. In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg yolks for about a minute.
5. Add to lemon mixture.
6. Beat Egg Whites to stiff peaks (holds its own shape)
7. Fold into lemon mixture, carefully to avoid to much deflation.
8. Pour into 8 or 9 inch pie plate or baking pan
9. Place in oven rack or large pan with high sides, add water around pie plate.
10. Place in oven for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown (PLEASE NOTE: if you are making the meringue topping, remove the lemon pudding cake from oven half way through baking to add meringue topping.)
11. MERINGUE: Remove lemon dessert from oven, half way through baking and mash kiwis in a medium mixing bowl
12. Add lemon juice
13. Beat egg whites till soft peaks (creates tracks with whisk)
14. Pour egg whites into kiwi bowl, mix till combined.
15. Pour over lemon pudding cake.
16. Place back in oven for another 12-20 minutes, till lightly brown and set.
17. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
18. Place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
19. Serve with a garnish of fresh fruit. Serves 7-10 people.