Adaption from The Essential New York Times Cookbook
2 Cups (260 Grams) Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Cup (100 Grams) Granulated Sugar Sugar (correct video)
½ Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Cup (1/2 Pound/227 Grams) Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into cubes
2/3 Cup (160 Grams) Maple Syrup
¾ Cup (155 Grams) Brown Sugar
½ Cup (100 Grams) Granulated Sugar
1 Whole Egg
1 Egg Yolk
¼ Cup (57 Grams) Unsalted Butter
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
½ Pound/2 to 2 ½ Cups Toasted Nuts or 2 cups of other extras (Options such as: Pecans, Walnuts, Cashews, Bitter Chocolate, Raisins, Dried Fruit)
- In a food processor, place all shortbread base ingredients. Pulse manually until mixture is fine crumb texture (do not let the food processor run on auto).
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Pour shortbread case in the pan, press firmly and ensure base is evenly leveled.
- Place and oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the crust has lightly browned.
- In the meantime, mix maple syrup and sugar with a whisk and beat in remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Pour filling mixture over shortbread crust and evenly spread with a knife or flat edged spatula.
- Distribute nuts/extras evenly over filling.
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until filling has set.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares
Lasts for at least 1 week. Keep refrigerated in an air tight container.