Whole Wheat Bread
Whole wheat bread isn’t just something you have to buy at the store and making from scratch spares you from all the excessive fillers found in store bread.. It can be quite rewarding to make at home and the results are definitely worth the effort.
You can serve this whole wheat bread right out of the oven with homemade jam, fresh coconut oil, a raw nut butter and more.
1 3/4 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup (57 Grams) Butter, melted
1/4 Cup (52.5 Grams) Brown Sugar
1 Envelope of Yeast
2 1/2 Cups (350 Grams) Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 Teaspooons Salt
- Combine both types of flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Activate yeast by pouring packet over warm milk, melted butter and sugar (approx 110F)
- Using a dough hook attachment or wooden spoon (if doing by hand). Add activated yeast mixture to centre of flour mixture.
- Kneed dough for 5-7 minutes, until fully combined and tacky to the touch.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap that has been greased and let rise in an area free from drafts, such as an oven or microwave that is off.
- Let rise and double in size (about 1 hour)
- Prepare a loaf pan by greasing with cooking spray or brushing with oil
- Transfer bread dough to loaf pan and let mixture rise again for an additional hour lightly covered
- Preheat oven to 180F/350C
- Bake bread for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container
Notes: If exterior of bread is turning brown too quickly before internal is baked, cover top of loaf with foil and slightly reduce the temperature.
When bread is done, always let bread cool completely before storing in a container.